More than 24,000 kids age out of U.S. foster care each year. Without the support that comes from an adoptive family or permanency connection, these kids face instant homelessness. At this age, they are expected to move out and start their lives on their own. Many are still in high school and are in need of jobs, transportation, and a place to live.
Many will end up with chemical dependencies, criminal records, or pregnancies at a young age. Few will graduate college. Source
National studies have shown that within two to four years of leaving foster care at age 18:
- 40% were homeless
- 40% were receiving public assistance or were incarcerated
- 40% experienced drug or alcohol abuse
- 46% had not finished high school
- 51% were unemployed
- 84% became parents
How does The Knighten Project, Packing with Purpose work?
- The Knighten Project partners with local foster care agencies to identify children aging out of the foster care system.
- People can donate everyday essentials, suitcases, or cash. We accept donations year round and also have fundraisers.
- We welcome corporate sponsorship and collaborations.
- We donate all proceeds to children aging out of the foster care system.
These young adults are special and deserving of gifts, blessings, and surprises and we want them to feel that way. Although, we can’t give every foster teen a brand new suitcase, we’d like to help as many as we can! Through brand partnerships, sponsorships & donations we will be able to give suitcases away with amazing surprises inside.
The Knighten Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in based Tampa, Florida and all gifts are tax deductible as allowed by law.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.Winston Churchill